VILLA Bellosguardo Caruso
The sixteenth century Villa di Bellosguardo, located on the hills of Lastra a Signa, takes its name from its extraordinary position.
On 1540 the noble family Pucci bought the property.
On 1585 the cultured and refined AbbË Alessandro Pucci, collector and patron of young artists, entrusted the Florentine architect Giovanni Antonio Dosio with transforming the masterís mansion and its grounds into an estate of incredible beauty.
The Villa originally presented two buildings, the masterís one and the farmís one.
The two were connected by a long wall with a central portal.
The remaining pieces of this original framework are the beautiful double staircase and the sandstoneís windows.
Today the late Renaissance style of the Villa only survives in the garden with its animalsísculptures realized by Romolo Del Tadda, involved in those years in the project of the Boboli Garden.
In the late years of the nineteenth century, the family Campi bought the estate and on 1906 it became property of the famous tenor Enrico Caruso.
One of his biographers tells that he took the decision after a walk with his beloved Ada Giachetti.
The two of them were impressed by the beautiful landscape and the spectacular park.
Caruso hired the architect Vittorio Sabatini, who realized two symmetric buildings.
He further restored and enlarged the mansion and transformed it in a typical tuscan villa by using simply plastered walls and sandstoneís fireplaces and doorframes.
He embellished the wall connecting the two buildings with a gallery surmounted by an eclectic terrace.
On 1919, after the death of Enrico Caruso, the estate went first to his son Rodolfo, then to his brother Giovanni and finally to the engineer Bianchi.
The Villa was then bought by Earl de Micheli, who devoted himself into restoring the Renaissance style of the park.
On 1990 the Villa was sold to the family Gucci and on 1995 was finally bought by the town council of Lastra a Signa.
Per maggiori informazioni contattare:
hosting & web editor